When it comes to PDFs, Adobe Acrobat is the first stop for many. This software has been around for years and developed the PDF format, and its applications have become the standard that other software solutions orient themselves around. However, there is at least one Adobe Acrobat alternative out there, and you might be surprised to discover how effective these applications are for home use or small businesses.
Today we introduce you seven Adobe Acrobat alternatives which you can create, edit, view, and protect your PDF files. This list includes commercial (paid) as well as open source (free) software.
7 Best Adobe Acrobat Alternatives in 2020
1. Nitro Pro
Nitro Pro is a complete PDF editing and creation tool. It offers many functionalities. Previously known as Nitro PDF Professional, this program allows you to edit page arrangement, graphics and text. Nitro Pro suitable for both professional and personal use, and is compatible with any browser on your desktop. However, Nitro Pro only supports Windows. No product from this series like Nitro Pro 7, 8, 9, 10 or even Nitro Pro 11 supports Mac or comes with mobile apps.
- Helps you to convert PDF to Excel and PowerPoint faster
- Quickly share documents securely via the cloud
- Access and share files quicker with your colleagues
- It is an excellent alternative to printed documents
- Multitasking feature allows you to modify PDF files easily
2. Foxit PhantomPDF
Foxit PhantomPDF is a PDF creator, editor and reader that’s got all of the tools, but none of the bloat. Like Foxit’s other PDF apps, Foxit PhantomPDF is a lovely program to use. It’s light on resources and quick to install. Once it’s up and running, there’s a tutorial and a welcome wizard, as well as lots of help and online resources. Thanks to this ease of use and excellent planning, using Foxit PhantomPDF is a really pleasant experience.
- Easy to create and edit fillable forms and documents
- It allows adding headers, footers, and export PDF documents
- Easy to collaborate with the team
- It helps you to protect your content in a better way
3. PDF Reader Pro
PDF Reader Pro is a PDF powerhouse that will fulfill all your document needs. Building on solid features such as Annotation, Edit, Form filling, OCR, Convert, Create, Sign, Bookmark and protect your PDF files, PDF Reader Pro allows you to maneuver through your PDF files. PDF Reader Pro Edition offers even more - merge and combine multiple documents, split your PDF into several files, insert pages from another PDF, Convert PDF to Word and any other Microsoft Office® formats. PDF Reader Pro is your last PDF application you would ever need.
- Easy-to-use to quickly accomplish your task
- PDF markup and comment made easy
- PDF transformer turns PDFs into any files
- Allows to edit pages, merge and split, rotate pages, add images, links and more
- Easily fill and sign PDF forms, from anywhere and on any device
- Precise OCR helps recognize text in scanned PDF files into editable characters
- Seamlessly work with PDF documents across your devices
4. Iskysoft PDF Editor 6 Professional
Iskysoft PDF Editor 6 Professional is a tool to create, edit, convert PDF files. With this software, you can sign and PDF with your office colleagues. The editor provides the best and simple way to work with PDF documents.
- Edit PDFs like a Word document
- Add notes and annotations PDFs
- Use advanced OCR to make scanned files editable
- Create, fill and sign forms in just a few clicks
- Extract data from forms and scanned PDFs
- Protect documents with passwords, redaction tools, and more
Is there a free alternative to Adobe Acrobat? This is the most popular question asked by many users who complain about the expensive price of Adobe Acrobat products. Here, we recommend three free Adobe Acrobat alternatives for you to take a trial.
5. PDF24 Creator
PDF24 Creator is a free and feature-filled PDF creation, merging and conversion tool for Windows. Its unique feature among the free PDF printer tools is an editor, which allows to easily assemble, create and modify PDF files with Drag & Drop.
Xodo is the ultimate cross-platform PDF viewer and annotator. Powerful, fast, and optimized for all phones and tablets, Xodo makes it easy to access, edit, mark up, sort, share, sync, manage, sign, and more with even the most complex PDF documents.
7. Sumatra PDF
Sumatra PDF is a free PDF, eBook (ePub, Mobi), XPS, DjVu, CHM, Comic Book (CBZ and CBR) reader for Windows. Sumatra PDF is powerful, small, portable and starts up very fast. Simplicity of the user interface has a high priority.
Adobe Acrobat is still the reigning superpower on the market of PDF editors. However, if you are looking for reliable, cost-effective solutions, an Acrobat alternative like the softwares we presented in this article will surely provide you with high-quality results.