PDF is one of the main types of documents on the internet, even though it is over 25 years old, since PDF is compatible with different operating systems and it retains the formatting of the document most of the time. At present, mainstream operating systems all feature an in-built PDF reader that enables users to open any PDF file effortlessly, so does Mac. Mac users can now easily view PDF files and documents using various PDF reader for Mac available. However, you might want to enhance your PDF reading experience and do more than reading on PDF, especially those who deal with it regularly in the corporate world or those who prefer reading eBooks.
With the rapid development of technology, more and more developers developed new PDF readers for Mac. There are hundreds of PDF readers, both free and paid. While, what is the best PDF reader for Mac? We sifted through the internet to find the best PDF readers for Mac that you can download online. In this article, we list 5 PDF readers for Mac for all of you, we can compare their features and choose the one that works best for you.
PDF Reader Pro is a PDF tool for Mac, and it has everything you need to work with PDFs. You can set it as your default PDF viewer. With it, you can choose Dark Mode, which will make windows, background colors and color schemes flip from bright white to subdued dark, and you will stay better focused on your work. In case you have more than one reading task at one time, Show Split View offers multi-tasks and effective reading experience. PDF Reader Pro provides a complete set of commenting tools for Mac users to annotate and markup PDFs. And you can view and change comments properties on the side panel.
Moreover, PDF Reader Pro integrates multiple functions to view PDF files, annotate PDF files, edit and manipulate pages, secure and store information, change text and fill out PDF forms. And it also supports Mac users to easily sign on PDF files, split and merge pages of documents. You can set a password to protect your PDF form being opened by other users, and you also can remove the PDF password to edit encrypted PDF files. OCR feature allows Mac users to convert scanned PDF to searchable PDF.
Main Features of PDF Reader Pro for Mac:
* Add annotations and notes to documents.
* Edit text on PDF and add bates numbers and permission to PDF
* Transform any PDF to and from Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more without losing fonts and formatting.
* OCR scanned PDF or images to turn texts to editable PDF or Text.
* Fill out PDF forms and sign contracts with a text or image signature
* Decrypt PDF protections and restrictions on printing, editing and copying
* Add text or image watermarks to PDF documents
* Compress bulky PDFs and shrink its size
* Complete functions
* Constant upgrading
Apple Preview is an image viewer for Mac users, and it is also a PDF reader for Mac. With it, Mac users can view, print and share PDF files. Furthermore, Preview has a distinguishing feature of encrypting files and restricting the use of such files. With Preview, you can encrypt and save a file so that a password is required by users to access, copy and print information from the file.
Main Features of Apple Preview:
* Built-in application without downloading and installing
* Encrypt PDF file
* Annotate PDF
Weakness of Apple Preview:
* Cannot edit text on PDF
* Cannot remove PDF password
* No support for ISO-Standardized PDF
* Destroys PDFs without warning
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe is an old merchant in PDF territory, and it has a series of PDF tools, Adobe Reader for Mac is one of those. Adobe Acrobat Reader for Mac is highly efficient and simple-to-use software that comes free of cost. You can view, print and comment on PDF documents using this free PDF reader software. You can download Adobe reader for Mac for free and set it as your default PDF reader.
Adobe Reader for Mac offers basic tools, which means you can only read PDF on Mac and can't do anything else. If you want a more advanced tool including some features to edit PDFs, convert PDF to office and more, you can download Acrobat Pro DC which is a paid PDF viewer.
Main Features of Adobe Reader for Mac:
* Easy to use
* Established platform worldwide
* Considered industry standard
* Well developed and supported
Weakness of Adobe Reader for Mac:
* Documents cannot be edited
* Other features are charged
Google Chrome is the most popular browser in the world, and it comes with a built-in PDF reader for Mac which enables users to view PDF documents. If you have installed Google Chrome on your Mac, you can read PDF directly with it. It allows readers to control various functions of their PDF document with easy to use functions.
Main Features of Google Chrome:
* Save PDF documents from browser
* Printing PDF document from browser
* Manually enable and disable the PDF viewer
* No operating system restrictions
Weakness of Google Chrome:
* Documents cannot be edited
* Documents cannot be annotated
* Only support view PDF
Price: Free Trial
PDFelement is a free PDF reader for Mac, and it is a great option for Mac users with powerful collaborative capabilities, which enables you to add sticky notes, comments, text boxes and more. If you want to use more functions, you have to pay money for upgrading. There is also a paid version with advanced functionality. PDFelement is not just a PDF reader, it also is a PDF editing tool that you can use to annotate PDFs or add text/images. Not only can you add text to documents, but you can also tweak the font type, size and style. There’s the ability to rotate, extract, replace and crop images too. Additionally, it provides the option to password-protect your PDF files.
Main Features of PDFelement:
* Edit PDF on Mac
* Convert PDF to Word and other formats
* Mark up and annotate PDFs on Mac
* Combine or split PDFs and fill out PDF forms on Mac
* OCR feature
* Add watermarks, passwords, and signature to PDF
Weakness of PDFelement:
* Need to pay money for more features
* Operation is a little bit complicated